4 years ago
#3 Quote

I love corn muffins!  This recipe is simple, just what I stole off the back of the corn meal box, and amped it up a bit.  I actually find the original recipe funny--on the Quaker brand corn meal container, the recipe calls for 1 1/4 C all-purpose flour, and 3/4 C corn meal.  3/4.  These people are so afraid of whole grains, they won't even make corn muffins out of majority corn meal!  Embrace your whole grains, people!  It's been working for 10,000 years, you know.

Anyhow, here is what I have been doing for corn muffins:

1 C Turkey Red flour, any extraction
1 C corn meal (flint corn if you can get it.  Maybe in a year or two we will start selling ours...)
1/4 C honey
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C milk (I use powdered milk, unless my neighbor's goat has freshened and I can get goat milk
1/4 C vegetable oil (or butter or olive oil)
1 egg (again, the recipe calls for two egg whites, presumably throwing away the yolks with all of their vitamins!)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  I use a cast iron muffin pan which I preheat a bit to make greasing it with butter easier.  But grease it with something.  You can also use an 8" or 9" square or round pan.

Beat everything together with a wooden spoon, it should be about like pancake batter (not too thick or they may taste dry).  Remember, whole grains and all the accompanying bran will soak up a lot of moisture and oil.  Too little liquid will result in a dry product.

20-25 minutes is about right, you can eat them the same day or freeze some.  Enjoy!