4 years ago
#7 Quote

I use a bread machine at home to test flour and make bread when I'm in a rush.  My unit is a "Breadman Plus", but I think they are all about the same.  Get one at a discount store or rummage sale if you have the patience, otherwise they are easy to find in retail stores.

Here is the recipe for a 1 lb loaf in my unit.  This machine will also make 1.5 lb or 2 lb loaves

3/4 C + 1 T water
1 1/2 T oil
2 T honey (or molasses or sugar)
1 t salt
1 1/2 T dry milk powder
2 C 92% extraction flour (I get the best bread from Turkey, but any variety will do.  If you have 100% extraction flour you may wish to substitute 25% white flour to keep your kids interested in eating it)
1 t active dry yeast

This makes a healthy, great tasting back to school bread.  Most bread machines have timers and you can set it to have warm bread for you when you wake up.  Usually the bread takes  about 4 1/2 hours on the "whole wheat" cycle, and it's a good idea to let it sit in the machine for another hour before removing it.  So leave plenty of time if you use the overnight timer.  Also, if you dig deeper into your bread machine recipe book you will find all kinds of variations with nuts, dried fruit etc.  Enjoy!